Vegan in San Francisco (Day One & Two)

>> Wednesday, July 25, 2012

IMG_0627-1
I've been in California for only a little over two days now and I've already eaten so much food that I think I should start this saga sooner rather than later so as not to get too far behind. This trip comes at a perfect time because I haven't been much in the mood for cooking lately... But for some reason, eating at awesome vegan restaurants seems to be something I can handle right now.


so... Day One

IMG_0484
Naturally, we had ice cream for breakfast at Bi-Rite. Appreciating the Morrissey reference, we opted for the "Everyday is Like Sundae" (Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with Blueberry Compote, and Newman O's). If you get there later in the day, expect to see a line out the door. It was pretty empty when we went, but it was breakfast time soooo........
IMG_0480
Then we lunched at Cha-Ya, a vegetarian Japanese restaurant. Being a big sushi enthusiast, this was kind of a dream come true for me. But ultimately, while the agedashi tofu was awesome and I appreciated all the creativity put into their menu, it definitely wasn't the best sushi I've ever had.
IMG_0493-1

Agedashi Tofu with grated daikon and ginger


Vegan Roll


Green Seaweed Roll


Portobello Nigiri Sushi


Cha-ya Roll


Sushi drunk

IMG_0494
Then we walked around the Golden Gate Park and had tea at the Japanese Tea Garden. We had two cups of my favorite tea, Genmaicha. It's a green tea with puffed brown rice.
IMG_0566
The gardens are really beautiful and worth a visit.
IMG_0542
For dinner we ate at Underdog. It's an organic sausage joint with a nice selection of vegan dogs, INCLUDING homemade hot sauces, sauerkraut, and potato salad. We opted for the spicy chipotle dog, red pepper dog, and tater tots. This is one of my favorite spots thus far.
IMG_0568

IMG_0569

DAY 2

IMG_0600
We started at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market for Pepple's Doughnuts. I'm not normally a huge fan of cake doughnuts but these were surprisingly light and airy. I loved em. My picks were Matcha Green Tea, Coffee, and Vanilla Glaze:
IMG_0605
We washed our doughnuts down with a sweet corn and roasted chile tamale from Donna's Tamales.
IMG_0608

The farmer's market offers excellent views of the bay bridge...



IMG_0623-1
AND some of craziest mushrooms I've ever seen.



For lunch we walked to Weird Fish and had a basket of vegan fish n' chips (with vegan tartar sauce and chipotle dressing).
IMG_0631
This is a completely candid picture of Lindsey shot after her first bite>>> Proof it was unbelievably delicious.
IMG_0633
And finally.... dinner at Gracias Madre. We had sweet potato quesadillas with caramelized onions, nacho cheese, pumpkin seeds, and a cream sauce.
IMG_0639
Followed up with greens dressed in chipotle dressing, almonds, roasted peaches, and queso blanco toasts. Everything tasted super fresh.
IMG_0638
Phew! that's it for now. I'll check back soon.







5 comments:

Blake July 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM  

Words cannot describe my jealousy. I hope you ladies continue having a fabulous time!

Anonymous,  July 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM  

Wow! Everything looks so good. Sounds like a wonderful time in San Fran.

Phoebe,  July 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM  

Wow, you might be an official SF'er by now :) Bi-Rite was an excellent choice! They are so amazing...

I recommend you try SoW SF if you like juice/juicing. They are new and a bit pricey but delicious and come from a history of making delicious things.

I also recommend (non food-wise) checking out Little Otsu, Therapy, The Curiosity Shoppe if you're in the Mission District again and haven' been there already. The California Academy of Sciences is fun, too, and the De Young Museum is fantastic if you like art.

Have fun!

evasive July 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM  

O...M...G
This is CRUEL.

ps. Lilo your postcard is coming, and Slamz I am so so psyched to see you! Verrryyyy soon!

Anonymous,  July 26, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

what a delicious trip! The sushi and donuts look out of this world!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP