Mushroom Lasagna (plus 1 bonus recipe!)

>> Thursday, January 28, 2010

Photobucket

Level of Difficulty: Effort Required
Pots/Pans Used: 4 or 5

2 packages sliced mushrooms
1 TBL olive oil
2 TBL soy sauce
lasagna noodles
nutritional yeast
8 TBL Earth Balance
4 cups plain soymilk
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg

This recipe comes from the Barefoot Contessa. I switched a few things up a bit, primarily the whole "dairy free" thing to make it simpler and veg friendly. This was my first time ever making lasagna and it was not as difficult as I expected. Makes for awesome leftovers!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box. meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until nicely seared. Then, add the soy sauce to to pan and cook an additional couple minutes. Set aside the mushrooms. For the cream sauce, let the soymilk simmer in a sauce pan. Melt the earth balance in a large saute pan. whisk the flour gradually in with the butter. Don't worry about it clumping up. Once you add the milk it will melt back down. Gradually, add the simmering milk to the butter and flour mixture, whisking constantly. Then, add the salt and nutmeg. In a casserole dish, first put a layer of sauce, then pasta. layer mushrooms, sauce and nutritional yeast, pasta, etc. Finally, top the final layer with sauce and yeast and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.


Leftover Pasta Recipe:
Photobucket

Level of Difficult: Easy
Pots/Pans Used:1!

Because I had leftover lasagna noodles and leftover hollandaise sauce from my "Eggless Benedict" recipe, I decided to incorporate them both in one totallty creamy and carby dish. Even if you didn't make the benedict or lasagna, I still highly recommend you try this recipe.
What you'll need:

Hollandaise sauce
Noodles (I cut up leftover lasagna noodles, but feel free to use whatever)
Brocolini
1 pkg Potobello Mushrooms
1 TBL olive oil
2 TBL lemon juice
1 TBL soy sauce
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until nicely seared. Then, add the soy sauce to to pan and cook an additional couple minutes. Set aside the mushrooms. Add the brocolini to the pan and saute with the lemon juice. Add the mushrooms back into the pan along with the noodles, sauce and nutritional yeast. Coat well. Yum!

3 comments:

Alex,  November 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Hi, can you tell me how much "2 packages" of mushrooms is? There are different sizes of packages at the grocery so I wasn't sure. Would it be a pound? :)

Thanks!
Alex

s.m. November 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

You're right, I probably should have been more specific. I'm not exactly sure if it is a pound. It's basically the standard-generic size package... Not the largest one. I'm sorry, I don't have any mushrooms in my fridge to be able to check for you. But honestly, the more mushrooms the merrier so I would get more than less just to be on the safe side. Hope it turns out great!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP