Grapefruit Two Ways!

>> Monday, March 22, 2010

#1 Broiled Grapefruit!
Photobucket
#2 Candied Grapefruit Peels!
Photobucket

I was inspired to try out these recipes because of my overwhelming love of the grapefruit. I seriously can't get enough of it. So I figured it was time to start exploring new grapefruit territories. Since I am trying to get rid of sugar I tried to figure out a way to candy grapefruit peels without it, but decided I might as well go big or go home, right? Still, I wanted to even it out with another sweet grapefruit recipe that doesn't rely on sugar. This is where the broiled grapefruit comes in. I highly recommended these. Oh! and If anyone can recommend a grapefruit recipe, please do!

Broiled Grapefruit

Level of Difficulty: too easy
Pots/Pans Used: 1

Ingredients

1 grapefruit, halved
1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl mix the agave and vanilla together. Pour it over the halves of grapefruit. Broil in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until you see the tops begin to caramelize and they look like this:
(Notice my dog, Oliver, lusting over them in the background) :)
Photobucket

Yeah... it's really that easy.

Candied Grapefruit Peels
Level of Difficulty: takes time, but easy
Pots/Pans Used: 2

Ingredients

1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 grapefruits
extra sugar to coat (I used some fancy vanilla bean infused sugar that I got as a gift, but regular sugar will be fine)

Start out by cutting the peels off the grapefruit and cutting them into strips.
Photobucket
You're going want to remove as much as the bitter white part as you can, but don't freak out about it.
Photobucket
Next, put them in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Then drain off the peels to cool and then boil again. Repeat another two times for a total of 4 times being boiled. After that step, put 1 1/2 cups of water, the brown sugar, and the peels in a pot to simmer.
Photobucket
Simmer until they are translucent and the water and sugar mixture reduces and thickens a bit. This may take 30 minutes to an hour. Drain them again and spread the peels out on a drying rack with paper underneath to catch drippings. Let them dry and cool for several hours. Once you feel they're ready, coat them in sugar. Ta da!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Gaia Weise March 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

How do the candied peels taste? They have a similar look to candied ginger (which I am obsessed with) but I know they taste completely different.

s.m. March 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

yeah, i love candied ginger too. It's really sweet and slightly tart. I'm sorry, I'm not awesome at describing food.

Blake March 22, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

Well, I actually don't really like grapefruit, but having sampled Sammi's candied peels, I can say that they are delicious. They are sweet and citrusy. Highly recommended.

Sabina March 23, 2010 at 1:36 AM  

Oh, Sammi! You have no idea how much I too love grapefruit, and how deprived I am of the lovely things here in New York (y'know, tryna buy produce locally and all).

These look BEAUTIFUL. I can't wait to get back to FL and test this out!! You're the best.

s.m. March 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM  

Aww thanks Sabina!!! I'm glad to know I have another grapefruit soul sista out there.

olsonfoods March 23, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

I can't concentrate on the recipe when all I can look at it that amazing specimen of a canine in the background......

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP