Eggplant Parmesan

>> Friday, March 26, 2010

First, Let's talk about Daiya cheese...
Photobucket

I decided a couple weeks ago that it was time to finally treat myself to some Daiya cheese. Let me begin by saying, everything you've heard is true... it's AMAZING! Yes, while somewhat pricey, it's more than worth it! What's most amazing is how much the texture actually resembles cheese when melted. I've included some pictures of a cheese quesadilla to prove it! I ended up making eggplant parmesan with my mozzarella Daiya (which was amazing, so scroll down for the recipe!) and a bunch of quesadillas and grilled cheese sandwiches with my cheddar Daiya. highly highly highly recommended!

Photobucket

Now on to the main event:

Eggplant Parmesan
Photobucket

Level of Difficulty: fairly easy
Pots/Pans Used: 2/3

Ingredients

1 pkg extra firm tofu
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Italian herbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup water
1 TBL lemon juice
1/2 cup whole wheat Japanese panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 large eggplant, sliced
olive oil
1 jar tomato sauce (I used a spicy tomato sauce. It was nice to have a bit of heat in the dish)
Daiya mozzarella (optional)

I haven't had eggplant parmesan in so long that i actually forgot what it tasted like. I knew this dish was good because with my first bite, all the eggplant parm flavors rushed back to me and it was an extremely nostalgic experience. Comfort food just rules!

Preheat oven to 350. First mix your panko, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and bread crumbs (I recommend making your own bread crumbs) in a bowl. Just a WARNING: you will have a lot of breadcrumbs left over. I use mine to put on top of baked mac and "cheeze". I'll figure out a more exact measurement the next time I make it :) ! Brush some olive oil on the sides of your eggplant slices and coat them in the crumb mixture. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, you can begin your ricotta mixture. In a food processor, place the remaining 1/4 cup nutritional yeast and ingredients tofu thru lemon juice. Process until it resembles the texture of ricotta cheese. Now begin the layering process. In a casserole dish, spread a little tomato sauce, then eggplant slices, then spread out all of the ricotta mixture, then more eggplant, more tomato sauce and finally as much Daiya cheese as your heart desires. Pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. I was completely floored by how yummy this was! I'm pretty sure I gained five pounds in one meal because I simply just couldn't stop eating it!

14 comments:

The Depressed Yogi March 26, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

Ahh! You've no idea how long I've been waiting for DAIYA to hit the shelves of my Whole Foods. Your post is making me want it even more!!! I miss quesadillas!!!

Suzy March 27, 2010 at 7:29 PM  

Can't wait until you come home and make this for your Mom (this weekend!). Looks Yummy and it's one of my favorite dishes!!

Scott March 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

I am very excited about making this!!!

Anonymous,  March 28, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

OH MY GOODDDD THIS LOOKS SO GOOD. I need it, I want it.

-Jessica

Christine,  March 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

Hey, I came across your blog on thekindlife.com website. I was a vegetarian in middle school for 2-3yrs but did not do it healthy (think pasta, bread, chips, etc). Decided at 24, to revisit my vegan self and got started 2 weeks ago after reading The Kind Diet. Im super excited to try out some of your recipes and your photos make it all look so good!!
Im writing also though to ask if the USF you mention is University of South Florida in Tampa? If so, go Bulls! I graduated with my B.S. in Biology in 2008 and loved every minute at USF. If its University of San Franciso then cest' la vie, lol.
Look forward to reading more of your recipes in the future.

s.m. March 30, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Aw thanks... And YES, it is the University of South Florida! What a coincidence! Do you still live in Tampa?

Christine,  March 31, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

I dont. I moved to Valdosta, Ga to get my Masters degree in Biology in 2008, after I graduated USF. Im about to graduate (again) in May and then move to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a job/my boyfriend.

Happy coincidence indeed! :)

Unknown April 21, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

I am VERY newly Vegan and this post about Daiya cheese saved my life. I love cheese, I eat it daily, and had no idea how I was going to be able to 'give up' all these foods that I have enjoyed my whole life. Thank you for your blog and your wonderful posts. It's so refreshing to know that Vegan does not equal boring!

s.m. April 22, 2010 at 12:26 AM  

Glad to help! My best friend was the same way. When she announced she was going vegan, no one could believe it. She would literally eat spoon fulls of Parmesan cheese by itself, she loved cheese so much (sorry Tess, if you're reading this). She has been happily vegan for over a year now! So YES, it's totally possible! I don't know if you looked at my post about Daiya in my "veg products" section but it's now available at Whole Foods!

Danielle June 4, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

This Eggplant Parm looks killer. I can't wait to try it and I am so glad to have found your blog! It is going to be an immense help.

jessica,  June 12, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

that picture of the quesadilla makes me miss cheese! I just tried follow your heart the first time today and wasn't too please. though i did just break off a piece rather than putting it into a quesadilla or grilled cheese so maybe i'll give it another shot. i still havent been able to get my hands on daiya

Anonymous,  September 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

This eggplant parm recipe KICKED BUTT, thank you.

Stéphy,  September 11, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

I love Daiya Cheese! It`s really good sprinkled on some grilled tomatoes! I will have to try your recipes! They look really good!

Kathleen,  August 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM  

I made your recipe for dinner tonight and it was great! I put it over whole wheat linguine I had tossed with olive oil, herbs, salt, and a little garlic powder. My boyfriend and I both thank you for your yummy recipe! :)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP