Stuffed Shells

>> Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Photobucket

Level of Difficulty: easiest with a food processor, but not hard without one!
Pots/Pans Used: one!

Ingredients

1 pkg shell pasta
1 jar tomato sauce
1 pkg extra firm tofu
nutritional yeast
fresh basil, chopped
garlic powder
s&p
lemon juice

I have had this recipe in my head for quite a while now and decided to try it out this weekend with my boyfriend. The tofu filling resembles ricotta cheese pretty amazingly! I highly recommend trying this out. Was great with some asparagus and garlic bread.

First preheat your oven to 350 and boil the shell pasta. You can make the filling in a food processor or you can just use your hand (that's what I did and it was somewhat tiring). If by hand, mash up the tofu until it resembles a firm ricotta cheese texture. *** I added a little water gradually to make it more moist. I honestly didn't measure at all in this recipe so add the nut yeast - lemon juice ingredients to taste. In a casserole dish, spread out some tomato sauce. Fill the shells with a couple spoon fulls of the tofu filling and repeat. Finally, top with remaining tomato sauce and bake for 15-20 minutes. Makes for really great leftovers!

*** This is a step I forgot and added later on

11 comments:

Dianne March 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

This recipe looks delicious and easy enough to make for my family. I found it on the Kind Life website and I can't wait to try it! www.veganlifestyle101.blogspot.com

s.m. March 12, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

Thanks, tell me how it turns out. Blog looks great! Definitely bookmarking it :D

Alex,  March 13, 2010 at 9:05 PM  

Cold you please give me some hints on the amounts of nutritional yeast, garlic, basil and lemon juice? Thanks

s.m. March 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

I would guess around 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or less depending on how much you love it), tsp garlic powder, 6-8 leaves basil, 1-2 TBL lemon juice. This is a god starting point and you can always just measure to taste after that, if you find you want more of an ingredient. Hope this helps!

K.Wright March 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM  

YUMMMMY! I can't wait to give these a try this week!

www.cardioandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Courtney Elizabeth March 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM  

Hi! I ran across your blog from The Kind Life and am looking forward to trying some of your recipes out. I'm not vegan, but am looking into incorporating more meatless meals into my diet. The stuffed shells look delicious!

s.m. March 21, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

Thanks! Let me know how they turn out!

Helen March 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

I tried this and it was really yummy! Thanks for the recipe. The grapefruit recipe looks great too, I LOVE grapefruit. http://whyiconsumeart.blogspot.com/

s.m. March 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

cute blog, helen. love the name!

Scott April 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

I finally made them. You should remove 'em from your blog because they're too good & when people start eating them they'll almost for sure neglect every non-stuffed shell thing in their lives from that point on!

M.J.,  April 18, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Soooo good! I did it all by hand and it turned out great. My mother walked by asking why I was eating ricotta cheese. She loved the shells once they were done.

I used a jar of marinara sauce that already had mushrooms and green bell peppers added. Next time I'm using fresh, it was delicious.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP