Dynamite Sushi Roll

>> Saturday, April 10, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: Seriously easy... don't be intimidated!
Pots/Pans Used: one!

Ingredients

nori seaweed sheets
sushi rice
1 cucumber, peeled and julienned
red onion, minced (only need a tiny bit)
1/2 cup vegan mayonaise (If you use veganaise you're gunna have to trek to whole foods. Otherwise, I found this brand which is available at most health food sections of Publix)
1 TBL vegan cream cheese ( I prefer Tofutti)
1 tsp hot sauce
sesame seeds
capers
soy sauce, wasabi & ginger (optional)


for assembly you will need:
bamboo mat
plastic saran wrap

While home last weekend, I went to Sublime in Ft. Lauderdale with my mom and good friend, Scott. We ordered the dynamite sushi appetizer and it kind of blew all of our minds. Completely inspired, I made it the very next night. I tried to come as close to it as I could without having the Sublime cookbook. In my opinion, the spicy mayo really makes this sushi... and I am so NOT a mayo person. Now if the task of making sushi seems daunting, you've got it all wrong. It's so much simpler to make than you might realize. If you don't believe me, watch the video I linked to below before committing to making the sushi plunge. There's barely ANY cooking involved and you will definitely impress all of your friends.
Start by cooking your sushi rice (directions should be on the bag. I made 2 cups worth). Once cooked, let it cool so that you can handle it. In the mean time, you can prepare the spicy mayo topping. In a bowl, combine the vegan mayo, vegan cream cheese and hot sauce and set it aside. Cover your bamboo mat with a sheet of saran wrap. Here is an instructional video on how to assemble your rolls. The only difference is that you should sprinkle the sesame seeds on top of the rice before you add the cucumber. (For the record, I really wanted to make a video myself but I don't have an awesome camera or an editing program... maybe in the future?)

............Congratulations! You just made sushi!!! See? not hard at all. Now spoon a dollop of the spicy mayo on top of each roll. Sprinkle the red onion, capers and additional sesame seeds on top. Serve with a side of soy sauce, wasabi & ginger.

7 comments:

Jeri April 11, 2010 at 3:51 AM  

We have all the ingredients. I have to make this for David tomorrow. I'll surprise him. This is some good stuff.

Helen April 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

My boyfriend was just asking me if I could make sushi. I told him I didn't know, it seemed difficult but maybe. Well, now I know it's doable :-) Just need to get a bamboo mat...

Scott April 13, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

Hear, hear on your new "You might also like:" section!

Jazz Siebert April 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

I've always been so nervous to make sushi but after seeing that video you posted, it totally looks doable! Thanks for sharing. :)

Wendi April 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

Wow, this sushi looks great. I love capers -- can't wait to try this.

Bikini By 30 April 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Holy heck! I NEED to make these. I looove sushi!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP