Jamaican Jerk-Spiced Tempeh with Fried Plantians

>> Thursday, April 22, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: pretty easy
Pots/Pans Used: 2!

Ingredients

1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp agave nectar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 8 oz pkg of tempeh
olive oil
plantains (opt)
cinnamon (opt)

I got the vegan cookbook, Fire & Spice, over the holidays and finally decided to make something from it. This recipe is inspired by the Jamaican Jerk-Spiced Tempeh Nuggets recipe, but I changed it up slightly to make it more "lazy cook-friendly". Pair it with some yellow rice and fried plantains and it was THE perfect dish. It's really filling AND takes less effort than you would think. I just about doubled the spice measurements from the cookbooks but if you aren't keen on spice, you could always tone it down or experiment with similar flavors that are less spicy.

First, you might want to start preparing your rice if you're having it. Next, heat some olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Crumble the tempeh into the pan and let it brown on both sides. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients from garlic powder thru thyme in a bowl. Spinkle the spice mixture over the browned tempeh and let it get thoroughly coated. Continue to mix it up for about a minute and it's done. Set it aside and heat more oil in the pan on medium-high heat so that you can fry up for plantains. I cut my plantains into slices then press or smash them down with a fork. Once the oil is really hot, add your plantains to the pan. Be careful that they don't burn. Once they're nicely browned and crispy on either side, place them on a paper towel so that the oil can drain. Sprinkle some cinnamon over top. Serve your rice, tempeh and plantains all mixed up together on one huge plate and eat your heart out!

3 comments:

Jazz Siebert April 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Ahhh... Tostones! Like my mom in Miami makes! I love it. :) (Im dominican so yes...plantains is a HUGE factor in my diet! heehee)

Scott April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

I'm super keen on spice and looking forward to making this!

Anonymous,  April 13, 2011 at 8:15 PM  

This was delicious! Definitely use the plantains because it adds more flavor to this dish; I didn't use the cinnamon though because I was little iffy on how I thought that would taste. We served it over plain brown basmati rice and really enjoyed it! Next time I make it, I think I'll cut down a little on the salt but it wasn't too salty as is. This is the first time I've ever cooked with or eaten tempeh and I'm hooked now!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP