Cupcake Contest - Lemon Poppy seed Cupcakes

>> Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Photobucket

On June 18th, Etsy invited people to throw their own Etsy craft parties all over the globe to celebrate their birthday. Tampa just so happened to be having the third largest Etsy party. Did anyone else attend Etsy craft parties??? Etsy's cute invite pictured below:

Photobucket

One of the events at the party was a cupcake decorating contest and I brought these babies. That's right, Super Mini Gulp Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes. Yeah, that's a mouth full... har har. bad joke.

Photobucket

Anyways, when I arrived I found out the contest had been canceled which was kind of a bummer. BUT I had a lot of fun making them and now I can just pretend I won. If you're interested in making these cupcakes all you need is crystal sprinkles in various colors, Redvines for straws (I found Redvines at Target, because Twislers aren't vegan), and 5 oz white kitchen cups (I made the little labels in Photoshop).

Not only were the cupcakes cute, but they tasted pretty spectacular so I thought I would include the recipe for you guys.

Lemon Poppy seed Cupcakes

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: pretty easy
Pots/Pans Used: 2-3ish

Ingredients

2/3 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2/3 light agave nectar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 1/3 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBL poppy seeds

Frosting

3 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cups vegan margarine
1/8 cup almond milk
1/4 tsp lemon extract

I really wanted to make sugar-free cupcakes, and although the actual cupcake batter is sweetened with agave, the frosting obviously calls for powdered sugar. Almost every recipe I found for agave-sweetened frosting required soy milk powder which I haven't been able to find, or some other kind of specialty ingredient. Anyone have a good sugar-free frosting recipe? This frosting is a little more like an icing. I recommend letting it set up in the refrigerator because it's a little runny. This recipe only made about 9 cupcakes, so I if you want more I recommend doubling it.

Photobucket

Okay! Start out by preheating your oven to 325. Mix almond milk with apple cider vinegar and let it sit for five minutes, until it begins to bubble. Whisk in the agave, oil, vanilla, and lemon extract. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Whisk until smooth. Fill your cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake 22 minutes. Meanwhile, you can start on the frosting. Just blend all ingredients together with an electric mixer, adding the powdered sugar gradually. Fini!

*Just a side note: If you're avoiding sugar, they make great muffins without the frosting!

11 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) June 22, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

Those are the CUTEST cupcakes I've ever seen- and god knows we live in the era of overdone cupcakes.

You win.

Roselie,  June 22, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

they look divine, amazing, great job!!!

Virginia,  June 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

Babycakes is an all vegan, sugar free, gluten free baked goods recipe book. Everything in it is fairly healthy and tastes really great!

Stephenie June 22, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

Your cupcakes look adorable! What a great idea, I love it!!! And I am so, so, SO excited to try these lemon poppy seed cupcakes. I loved lemon poppy seed muffins as a kid. Thanks so much for sharing!

kristine June 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! my jaw literally dropped when i saw that pic. omg i want to eat one RIGHT.NOW!

shannon,  June 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

I didn't know that Twizzler's weren't vegan? What is the ingredient that has an animal byproduct? On the ingredients list, everything looked vegan...

s.m. June 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

It has glycerin and doesn't specify whether or not it's from vegetables or animals. Usually if it doesn't say "vegetable glycerin", then it's from animals. But, I really haven't investigated to find out if it is definitely from animals or not just because I'm not crazy about Twizzlers.

Anonymous,  July 4, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

I just made these for a 4th of July party! They are sooo good! I had a couple non-veg friends try them and we all think they will be a hit amongst all the other non-veg crap that they will have at the party :)

Bec July 14, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

I saw these and instantly had to come up with an excuse to make them! I will be making them for a friend's birthday in a couple of weeks. A couple of questions on how you put these together -

1. What did you put in the cup to prop the cupcakes to the top?

2. How did you come up with the label to put around your cups?


Bec

s.m. July 14, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

The cupcakes wont fall inside, they'll stay up on their own :)

The labels I made on photoshop. I found a label online, and replaced 'BIG' with 'mini' by finding a similar font.

Good Luck!!!

Stella September 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM  

Ooh, that photo with the white icing is delicious looking. The crafts are cute too!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP