The Loving Hut!

>> Monday, June 14, 2010

I've been wanting to start doing restaurant review posts occasionally and I'm finally doing it. Don't worry, this will remain a recipe blog, just with a very sporadic veg eating out post every once in a blue moon. Where is our first veg place? The Loving Hut



Have any of you heard of them before? Apparently, they are an international vegan chain! I'm so glad that even exists. Well, the only one I can really vouch for is the one they JUST opened in Tampa (located at: 1905 East Fletcher Avenue Tampa, FL 33612). Most of the food is Asian, but they also offer some non-traditional dishes like Spaghetti with Meatballs, a Philly Sub, Seafood Fettuccine Alfredo (yes they have vegan shrimp and I can't wait to try it) and Tofu Scramble.

It's only been open about two weeks and they are still working on their menu. I've already gone twice since Saturday. It's seriously inexpensive and the staff is so nice! They even had us try a recipe they are thinking about putting on the menu and were open to our feedback. I took some pics of the yummy food with my camera phone, so please excuse the poor quality.

Okay so what I ate...

Actually, let's talk about what I drank, an Iced Rose Cappuccino. First, it's beautiful and second, it was delicious and a flavor combo I've never had before!

Photobucket

We got the Golden Nuggets as a starter (YUM!)

Photobucket

My boyfriend got the Energy Wrap, which was a pretty standard veggie wrap, but had a nice helping of avocado which gave it a great creamy texture. Wasn't dry like wraps can often be.

Photobucket

I was also able to try the Philly Sub, which if you're vegan is quite out of the norm. It had a really good creamy sauce, carrots, "steak" and cilantro. That was DELICIOUS! It was pretty spicy though so beware. Usually I think I can handle spice, but this might have been a little too much for me. However, someone else I was with wasn't too bothered by the spice so... maybe I'm just a wimp

Photobucket

Next there was the Sweet and Sour Joy. The sauce was really nice and the "pork" was really good, I just wished there was even more of it. It was also served with peppers, pineapple and a side of white rice.

Photobucket

Finally... the Scrambled Tofu with potatoes, peppers and onions. You have NO IDEA how happy I am that there is FINALLY a vegan breakfast option in Tampa! I love love love love love going out for breakfast and am always jealous of my Gainesvillian friends who get to eat tempeh scramble to their hearts desire at Bagels Unlimited whenever they please. Regardless of how happy I was to have a breakfast option, it was actually pretty fantastic! The potatoes were just like home fries and the scramble had so much more flavor than I expected. Granted it's the only breakfast option and they don't actually open until 11am but I'm not complaining!

Photobucket

They are still planning for their grand opening, so look out for it! By the way, I would love to meet some of you. All us Tampa people should plan a big meet up for lunch or something :) Feel free to email me if you're interested in doing something like that.

21 comments:

Scott June 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

Great news - and one more reason for me to visit!

The Wh0le Story June 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Love the idea of veg restaurant reviews! I plan on adding some to my blog as well, although I'm just starting. Chicago Diner has an INCREDIBLE Philly Steak and Cheez sandwich. Also a rose cappuccino? Yes, please! I'll have to try the one in Chicago.

hoolsa June 14, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

The Loving Hut in NYC is amazing, too! Small little place, but the food is yummy and the staff consists of an adorable mother-daughter duo. I eat there probably once every two weeks (which is a lot considering I never eat out)!

Kristy June 14, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

Just found your blog via the Kind Life, I believe... or maybe just searching for vegan blogs.

I'm happy you posted about this because I've recently made the decision to go vegan, and just looked up this restaurant and there is one about an hour away! I'm excited to try it out next time I'm in San Diego!

Thanks!

Jennifer June 14, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

I'm so hungry now after looking at all of those yummy pictures!! A Loving Hut opened up recently here in Vancouver. It's such a beautiful thing to see an entirely vegan menu!

Danny P.,  June 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

Golden Nuggets! They were so goooood!

Krystina June 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

There's one in Orlando too! I want to check it out. I'm not too far from Tampa, so I'm definitely down for a blogger meet up. :)

Jessica,  June 15, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

Krystina! I thought there was one in Orlando, but I've never seen it. I'll have to find it and try it though because that food looks awesome! And its even better that its reasonably priced :). Have you been to Dandelion Cafe? I want to try that one too!

A blogger meet up sounds fun. I only know one other person that is a vegan haha all my vegan friends are online :)

Trinity (of haiku tofu) June 15, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

Awesome! Thanks for posting this. I'm going to visit my parents in Spring Hill next month- and now I'm going to take them to The Loving Hut! I'm also going to beg them to take me to the new Harry Potter world in Orlandooooo!

Unknown June 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

I saw there is one in Texas not too far from me! I was so excited I squeaked...lol

I cannot wait to try it... also totally going to start my own blog soon when I am not so crazybusy :D

Jessica,  June 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

Seeing their "Go Veg, Save the planet sign" makes my day every time I drive passed it but I had NO IDEA what is was and I am SO HAPPY to know now!! Thank you soo much! :)

Blake June 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

i can vouch for the tof scramble, it was fabulous!

Rachwins June 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

I love veg restaurant reviews! Although it does mean I have an ever increasing list of restaurants in far flung cities that I want to try out... Keep up the good work!

Krystina June 17, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Hey Jessica! I've never been but I know the general area, though surprisingly I've passed by a bunch of times without seeing it! I'm definitely planning a trip there very soon though because it looks delish.

I went to Dandelion a few days ago and loved it. I had a HUGE wrap that tasted fab. There are some nice vegan options in town.

Totally down for blogger meet ups!

Nancy Eaton June 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

You're so lucky! I live in a teeny town 20 miles from Ocala (40 miles from Gainesville). I can never get good veggie food - except sometimes at Publix. But, I guess that's the trade-off for wanting to live in a small town! I go to Kansas City a couple of times a year, so I'm going to see if they have a restaurant there.

Jessica,  June 23, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

yay let's definitely all get together! i don't know how we'll arrange it but we should try :)

Unknown July 28, 2010 at 2:46 AM  

We just got a Loving Hut in Hawaii :D Yay.

Hannah,  August 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

I've heard of them! There's one in New York City, not even a block down from Penn Station. The restaurant itself is tiny, there are 3 tables with enough room for one person to stand flat against the wall, and the waitress to squeeze by you. The food is INCREDIBLE though, and very cheap! It's sooo delicious, I'd go into the city just for that. So glad you've discovered them elsewhere. :)

Radish August 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

My boyfriend just moved to Tampa to do grad school at USF so we went to Loving Hut to celebrate after moving him in. I thought the food was good for the cheap price but nothing spectacular (unfortunately). Are there other yummy veg-friendly restaurants you recommend in Tampa? We loved Cilantro Indian Restaurant but haven't tried out anything else yet.

I'm actually from Gainesville and also love the tempeh scramble at Bagels Unlimited. I live only a few blocks away so it's super convenient for me to go to brunch there, yay!

Anyway, I'm adding you to my blog list since you're a fellow Florida vegan blogger. (Hope that's ok) :D

-Rachael: plantbasedkitchen.com

s.m. August 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM  

Hey Rachael! Sorry to hear you weren't impressed with the Loving Hut. I've definitely had things there that I liked more than others. What did you get if you don't mind me asking? Tampa is suprisingly veg friendly I'm happy to say... There's:
Grass Roots Organic Restaurant (all veg, with raw options)
Taqueria Monterrey or Taco Bus (really cheap, has awesome pineapple juice and vegan chorizo and a lot of other vegan options)
Ichiban or Soho Sushi (where I always go for good sushi. Get the yum yum roll at Soho Sushi)
Trang Viet Cuisine (Vietnamese food. HUGE vegan menu)
Mellow Mushroom (now offering DAIYA cheese on their pizza!!!!)
Cafe Hey (offers a pretty mean VBLT)
Queen of Sheba (I've never been, but I've heard they have awesome Ethiopian food)

Hope that helps! So nice to meet another Floridian vegan Blogger. Those Cocoa Raspberry Ice Cream Sandwiches look amazing by the way!

Anonymous,  October 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

Wow! It's so cool to see other tampa vegans. :D I actually totally came across your blog by random through tumblr. I've never been to the loving hut, but my roommate has. and she told me all about the supreme master. XD
-rose (bonepale at gmail com)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP