THE Carrot Dill Soup

>> Friday, June 11, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: minimal effort
Pots/Pans Used: two

Ingredients

2 lb. carrots, sliced (about 5 cups)
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1/4 cup vegan margarine
2 49-oz. cans vegetable broth
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1/4 cup snipped fresh dill
s&p to taste

My mom found this recipe from recipe.com and made it for one of my birthday parties a while back. My guest's reactions to it were pretty strong. One of my friends, Kyle, felt the need to hug her after taking his first sip. After that, I had friends calling her and asking me for the recipe constantly. What I'm getting at is... this soup is kind of a celebrity.

In a 6-8 quart dutch oven, cook the carrots and onion in the hot margarine until they're tender. Next add in the broth and the rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes. Let it cool a little to that you can start transferring it in batches to a blender. Blend until smooth. Stir in dill and season with salt and pepper to taste. That's it!

9 comments:

hoolsa June 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

YES!! I LOVE THIS SOUP SO MUCH AND AM MAKING IT TONIGHT. i can still remember what it tastes like, which sounds creepy but i don't care!

taylorhand June 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

this soup made an appearance at my birthday party this year! i love it!

Blake June 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

describing this soup as a celebrity is so accurate. i've made it once, and it wasn't as good as the time your mom made it, but it was still fabulous. possibly my favorite soup ever, though your butternut squash soup is a close contender.

Anna Matthews June 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

This was so good and soooo easy - thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous,  June 30, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

How much margarine? 1/4 cup? 1/4 Tablespoon? Inquiring minds want to know...

s.m. June 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM  

Hey Heather,

Sorry about that! I just fixed the recipe, it's 1/4 cup*

Good luck with your cooking!

Jennifer,  March 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

49-oz cans? Never seen those. I want to make this soup, but that sounds like A LOT of veg broth.

s.m. March 19, 2011 at 10:53 PM  

You're right, it does sound like an obscene amount but I double checked my original recipe and it does in fact say 49 oz :/

Jennifer,  March 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM  

I made a half batch tonight using a 32oz carton of broth and 2 8oz cartons (48oz total) and it was definitely all needed. It was even a bit thick! It was delicious, though, THANKS!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP