Drunken Bananas

>> Saturday, July 31, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: supa easy
Pots/Pans Used: uno!


Ingredients

1 1/2 bananas, cut into quarters
1 TBL vegan margarine
1 TBL agave nectar
1/4 TSP vanilla extract
1 TBL spiced rum
1 1/2 tsp crystallized ginger, minced
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
garnish with shredded coconut

I LOVE bananas foster and although this is pretty close to the traditional dessert, I've changed it up slightly. I didn't have any ice cream, nor did I really need the added sugar so I left it out. However, if you want ice cream, I recommend it since bananas foster with a scoop of melty vanilla ice cream is just about as close to nirvana as you can get. This was really more like a single serving, maybe enough for two not very hungry people. If you wanted to add more bananas I think that would be fine, there's definitely enough sauce for it. If anything it will just be more substantial and less soupy.

Photobucket

In a small saute pan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add the agave nectar and turn to high heat so that it begins to bubble, thicken and brown a bit. Once the color starts changing, turn the heat to low and add bananas. Add the vanilla extract and stir until the vanilla aroma begins to subside. Next add the rum and let it cook down for a few minutes. I tried lighting mine on fire so that the bananas would caramelize but it didn't work. Still, the alcohol wasn't too strong so it didn't seem to matter very much. Add the crystallized ginger and the pumpkin pie spice and stir up well. Garnish with shredded coconut and indulge your sweet tooth!

7 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) July 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Mmm that looks great! I've got a couple bananas and Drunken Bananas is now their fate!

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife August 2, 2010 at 10:26 PM  

This would be a good one for a small gathering!

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM  

Oh that looks yummy! I loooove bananas foster.

sara August 3, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

this makes me wish i had some bananas RIGHT NOW :)

peggy August 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

that looks amazing. thanks for posting! im definitely going to make that :)

Danielle August 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

This is being made tonight and I'm so excited!!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP