Vegan on Board!

>> Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vegan on a cruise? Yes, it's possible.

Photobucket

My cousin and I just turned 21, so we went on a cruise to the Bahamas with our family to celebrate. I thought I would share my experience being vegan on the cruise with you all in case you were curious. Seriously people, it's so possible!

First, you should know that we took the Norwegian Sky Cruise, so I really can't vouch for any other cruise lines. However, I can't imagine that they would be very different as far as trying to accommodate alternative diets. Let me start by saying that not only was there plenty for me to eat, but the food was actually good.... like... excellent even!

Now, the buffet gets a little tricky to navigate because you can't be certain exactly what's in everything. However, if you eat at the restaurants and let them know what you can't eat ahead of time, they will make special accommodations for you. Seriously, they actually said "what would you like us to make for you?"..... so you don't just have to settle for fries and a salad. Just to be safe, I fibbed and told them I was allergic to eggs and dairy. That really hit home because they made sure to ask the chef about all the ingredients. So to the best of my knowledge, everything I ate was 100% vegan.

Since it was a 21st celebration, we have to start out with drinks. This was their special drink one day called, "Cool Runnins" (best movie) which was a combination of fresh bananas, pineapple and rum.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Then of course there's my favorite, the pina colada...

Photobucket

For appetizers I had some spring rolls that were out of this world. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures, but trust me, they were pretty too. Other than that, I had pineapple that was marinated in Rum with a mojito mint syrup and topped with shaved coconut. This was actually served with a cream, but they were nice enough to make me a dairy-free version from scratch.

Photobucket

Then another night I had the Mediterranean fruit with Amaretto... complete with Peaches, Plums and Grapes!

Photobucket

They also offered vegetable tempura on the menu. However, their batter had egg so instead they brought me lightly steamed and seasoned veggies with an excellent scallion-ginger dipping sauce and wasabi rice wrapped in nori...

Photobucket

Salad with a Sherry Walnut Dressing and Candied Walnuts

Photobucket

Moving on to entrees...
They brought me a spread I couldn't believe. One plate was enough.... but three!? Can you tell we were in awe?

Photobucket

First they brought out spicy veggies with crispy fried tofu. I know, it looks kind of boring but it was so much more delicious than I expected...

Photobucket
Obviously it was good judging by the left overs ;)
Photobucket

They also prepared me a tofu curry, a potato lentil stew and rice

Photobucket

...Complete with naan and lentil crackers

Photobucket

Vegan dessert is hard to come by anywhere let alone out at sea. However, two nights they offered a delicious sherbet. The first night was a decadent strawberry and then the last night I had lime (pictured below). If sherbet won't cut it for your sweet tooth, I recommend doing what I did and bring along a couple vegan chocolate bars or candy so you can fulfill that craving.

Photobucket

And here we all are, incredibly stuffed, posing with the waiter that was nice enough to accommodate me!

Photobucket

All in all, being vegan on a cruise is possible. I even ate better food than I normally do. So my advice is, talk to someone ahead of time, let them know your dietary restrictions, and they will take good care of you from there.

8 comments:

Cheryl Allen Salinas December 1, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Thanks for this post -- I will be going on a cruise next summer with my family, and my parents and my brother and his family -- a big crowd. I am guessing we will mostly buffet-it, but it's good to know you can ask for what you want too. Happy Birthday! http://midlifevegan.blogspot.com

laura December 2, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

I'm so glad you wrote this. I leave for my cruise next week and I've been wondering if they would have food for me. Thanks!

Love your blog by the way. I make a lot of the recipes you post... so thanks!

s.m. December 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

Yay! I'm so glad some of you found this post useful. Have fun on your cruises! ;)

Dorothy Flannery December 16, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

Loved your write up! As you know I've been selling cruises for years, and my experience has been that if you ask nicely, and especially if you notify the ship ahead of time, they will go out of their way to accommodate you! You do a great job with this blog - I never would have expected so much variety in a vegan diet. Goes to show the mindset of this Irish, meat & potatoes background!!! Thanks for the blog!

Mandi,  June 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM  

I love your blog! I am a new vegan and am trying to understand how to tell what items have egg/milk in them and which dont. Is sherbert ice cream not made with milk? Ever? I guess I just assumed it had milk in it. Thanks for the help! I get a lil over whelmed with how theres some sort of animal product in almost everything.

s.m. June 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM  

I can't say that it's never made with milk, but the majority of the time it isn't. However, I always check the ingredients just to be safe. And if you ever go to a restaurant, it's always safe to ask (That's what I did on the cruise). Don't worry, it can be a lot at first but after a while, it just becomes second nature. Good luck and congrats on the switch!!! You can do it!

Mandi,  June 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP