BBQ Chick'n Pizza

>> Saturday, March 26, 2011

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: Some assembly required!
Pots/Pans Used: one!

Ingredients


pizza dough
BBQ sauce
2 cutlets of Gardein Chick'n Scallopini
1 TBL Bacon Bits
handful of Kale, ripped into bite-sized pieces
1/4 green apple, sliced

White Sauce:
1/4 cup Earth Balance
2 TBL nutritional yeast
3 TBL Flour
1 cup Unsweetened almond milk
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt

I saw a version of this recipe on the Food Network and thought it looked very... "veganizable". At first, I was going to leave the apples out all together. However, I decided to give it a try. This recipe would be good either way... but if you're feeling adventurous, try the apples! They're not nearly as invasive as you would expect. In fact, they add a nice and subtle sweet note.

Photobucket

Preheat oven to 425. Roll out pizza dough and lay out on a pizza crisper (If you don't have a pizza crisper, you can use a greased baking sheet. However, you may need to pre-bake the dough longer in order to get it nice and crisp). Pre-bake dough for about 5 minutes and then take it out. Meanwhile, saute your chik'n cutlets in a saute pan with a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Brush the cutlets with some BBQ sauce. Set cutlets aside. Using the same pan, you can start on the white sauce. Melt Earth Balance in the pan and then whisk the flour in gradually. Continue to whisk as you add the milk. Once it has reached a thick/cheezey/saucy texture, it's done. Add the onion powder, salt, and nutritional yeast.

Photobucket

Now you can start assembling the pizza. Spread about 3 TBL of BBQ sauce on the dough for the base. Then spread out the cheezey white sauce. Top with the BBQ chik'n (cut into bite-sized pieces), apple slices, kale, and bacon bits. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Yet another Oliver-approved recipe!

Photobucket

5 comments:

LittleHouseofVeggies March 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM  

YUMMY!!! My husband would LOVE this pizza!

Unknown March 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM  

Um...YUM! When I saw the picture I thought "Is that apples on a pizza? Must look!" I've never tried kale on pizza either, but I think I better give it a try!

Amanda April 3, 2011 at 3:24 PM  

That looks delish! I just saw Tal Ronnen at a veg expo so I have a renewed interest in using Gardein products. And I love kale. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa April 5, 2011 at 9:49 PM  

I would have never thought to put apples on pizza, but I'll try anything when it comes to pizza!

Scott September 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM  

We tried it last night. It was pretty good. I would recommend cooking it in the oven without the kale for a few min to soften up the apples. Then, pull it out and put the Kale on. I prefer the kale sauteed first.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP