Vegan in Milwaukee!

>> Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Photobucket

I know, I know... it seems I'm a bit of a jet-setter these days. Just know, this really isn't the norm for me. I just happened to visit two different states this month. The reason for this getaway was a little reunion of my high school friends. We all met in Milwaukee and stayed with my friend, Shannon, who attends The Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design. We pretty much spent the weekend dancing, drankin and eating some mighty excellent vegan food... We are kind of all-stars at doing all these things.

I have to give my friend Je$$ props because she did the majority of the cooking when we weren't eating out. My favorite dish she made was this cheezey vegan version of a hamburger helper.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Let's start at the beginning. First, we ate brunch at the Riverwest Co-op...

I started out with an AWESOME Peanut Butter Cup Smoothie ( t'was ridonkulous). Then, I was so excited when this landed in front of me... A Philly Cheezesteak Sandwich

Photobucket

INSANE Mac & Cheeze

Photobucket

French Toast

Photobucket

Ranchero Plate- Spiced brown rice, seasoned black beans, scrambled tofu served with corn (gluten-free) or flour tortillas, salsa and avocado

Photobucket

I have to say, the Biscuits N' Gravy were probably my least favorite. The biscuits were a little too dense but still purtty good.

Photobucket

Then we had a Sunday brunch gathering with some of Shannon's friends at Beans & Barley. We had probably THE sweetest server ever! I would give her a shout out if I only I knew her name :(

Photobucket

Don't worry... I didn't consume all of the following food alone.

Photobucket

I started out with one of my favorite drinks, a Sweet Matcha Latte

Photobucket

Jess got a cup of Pumpkin Peanut Soup. I'm not a fan of peanuts in savory food, so I'll reserve my opinion. However, I will say that she finished it!

Photobucket

Then she got the Tempeh Rueben. It was good, but a little on the dry side.

Photobucket

A bunch of us ordered the Pesto Scrambled Tofu with parsley shallot potatoes.

Photobucket

I also tried yet another plate of Biscuits n' Gravy. I have to say, Beans & Barley's were better in my opinion.

Photobucket

Flippin' fantastic Pancakes!

Photobucket

Then on our last day, we did lunch at Comet Cafe. Lemme just say, we were all so enthralled in how unbelievably good our own entrees were that there was very little talking and sharing going on...

Photobucket

A few of us just had to try the Beermosa. Yup, sounds super gross but is surprisingly awesome. I swear!

Photobucket

Eva got the Vegetable-Heaven Salad with marinated tofu and ginger dressing...

Photobucket

Plus a side of Tofu Scramble

Photobucket

Jess had the Vegan Meatloaf Sandwich topped with mashed potatoes, grilled tomatoes, and beer gravy.

Photobucket

Julia got the Vegan Gyro with housemade seitan.

Photobucket

Last, but certainly not least, is what I ordered (and the reason Comet Cafe will forever hold a special place in my heart). Now, if you haven't noticed by now, I am a vegan who tends to enjoy the occasional faux meat product. I know a lot of vegans aren't into that so please don't hate me for gushing about the following entree... Vegan Deep Fried Ribs. Here's the thing, no one I talk about this to seems to think this sounds good at all. Admittedly, it sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen. But come on, I figured this was probably my only chance to get this. Seriously, it was AAAAAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAAZZZZZIIIIIINNnNnnnNggggg! It was beer battered vegan riblets with hand-cut fries, vegan chive mayo, hot sauce, and BBQ sauce. I mean... just... yeah... i can't.... I have no words....

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

All in all, if you're looking for excellent vegan fare, GET YOUR VEGAN BUTT TO MILWAUKEE!

Photobucket

And yes... now that I'm home, I will resume cooking!

5 comments:

Little Miss Cupcakes March 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM  

so much delicious food in one post!

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM  

OH MY GOD I WANT ALL THAT FOOD ALL OVER AGAIN. Great post Slammz!

--Eva

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM  

Ughhhhh, looking at my dish from Comet Cafe is making me want to die!!!! I love you, Sammi!

-Jessica

Anonymous,  March 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM  

beermosa.... Whats that?

Anonymous,  April 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM  

Yes!!! I have been working in Milwaukee for a while, and the number of killer vegan options is incredible. Comet Cafe is SOOOOO good!! Next time you are here, you should hit up BelAir Cantina for some vegan Cali-Mexi tacos. Delish!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP