Nutty Orange Coffee Cake

>> Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: so easy
Pots/Pans Used: 2

So, before we get into the ingredients and instructions... lemme preface this by saying that this is a Paula Deen recipe... dun dun dun. I mean really, NEED I SAY MORE? This may in fact be the most un-vegan-iest vegan recipe EVER. So, if you feel like being reeeeaaalllly bad, make this cake because it's totally insane (and surprisingly simple).

Essentially, its an entire cake comprised of buttermilk biscuits that have been filled with cream cheese, dipped in melted butter, and rolled in sugar...(crickets)...
.....
.......
............
................
................... I know, that's what I said!!!


Photobucket

Anwyays, I threw a little Summer dinner and dance party shindig and this cake seemed like the puuuuuurfect dessert. Plus, that way I knew I couldn't eat it all myself. Not to mention, this recipe is a great conversation starter. I overheard a couple people saying "I know, isn't it awesome? Did you hear what's in it?!"

Photobucket

So here ya go, the now infamous vegan recipe... (To vegan-ize, I just used store bought buttermilk biscuits that were coincidentally egg/dairy free, Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese, and Earth Balance).

Stay tuned because I have lots more recipes from my summer dinner party coming!

7 comments:

Blake July 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

OH MY GOD. this cake was amazing!

xx July 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

I actually kind of love Paula Deen, this cake looks amazing. So good!

marciferous July 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM  

Where on earth does one find dairy-free *butttermilk* biscuits??

Arisa and Daniel July 21, 2011 at 12:16 AM  

That cake looks amazing! How crazy is it that the buttermilk biscuits we dairy free? That just doesn't make sense. Totally making that for our next potluck!

http://papastoolshedmamaskitchen.blogspot.com/

s.m. July 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM  

marciferous,

I found egg and dairy-free "buttermilk" biscuits at the major grocery chain in Florida, Publix. Publix's generic brand just happened to be vegan. Of course, if you can't find anything, you could always make your own!

tassie,  July 28, 2011 at 7:36 PM  

I was going to use this recipe http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16632.0 because I'm having a difficult time finding dairy free biscuits locally. will i have to do anything special to the recipe or will it turn out the same?

loving your blog, i've been scrolling/reading all day!

s.m. July 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

Truthfully, I have no idea because I've never used that recipe before. However, it seems like it should work in theory. Please lemme know how it turns out!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP