Vegan in Disney World

>> Tuesday, April 23, 2013


I went to Disney World for the weekend to celebrate my mom's birthday and check out the new Fantasyland. While the parks don't offer tons of vegan options, you definitely won't starve. I recommend making reservations ahead of time and calling to speak with the chefs. From what I've read, they're extremely accommodating. Unfortunately, I left everything to the last minute, so table service wasn't really an option. Regardless, I've compiled a few quick vegan bites the Magic Kindgom has to offer.

Even though Fantasyland isn't 100% complete, there was plenty of new stuff to see! For example, a new castle (seen in the distance!) and Belle's village...


I stopped in Gaston's tavern for "LeFou's Brew" (Frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow flavor, topped with passion fruit-mango foam). WHATTT!? It was good AND cute.
















For lunch we headed to the Columbia Harbor House for their veggie chili and Lighthouse Sandwich (If you want it vegan, you have to omit the broccoli slaw). Even though it was just hummus and tomato, it was filling and surprisingly tasty.


Walked around a bit... Saw some magical topiary...



To be honest, I was pretty sick of veggie burgers by the time I was done with this vacation. I really wish they would come up with something more original. I will say they prepared a pretty jazzed up version at the Pop Century Resort with an avocado corn salsa and tortilla strips.

(Keep in mind many veggie burgers are bound with eggs, so I recommend asking for the ingredient lists before ordering. From what I've read on other blogs, the park's burgers are vegan, but I've yet to find an official Disney source to confirm. So just double check to be safe!)


And get ready to freak out.... THEY HAVE VEGAN ICE CREAM AT THE MAGIC KINGDOM~!   There's an ice cream parlor at the end of main street that carries Toffuti and Rice Dream. It's even listed on the main menu, so don't feel shy about asking for it!


As far as snacks go, the pretzels and popcorn served in the park are totally vegan from what I've read.


We also went to Epcot and Hollywood Studios on this trip. I feel Epcot is a little easier to find food at, because they have the world showcase. You can usually find (or modify) some vegan fare in Mexico or Japan. In Hollywood Studios we ate at Mama Melrose's Italian Restaurant which serves a really good vegetarian minestrone.

AHHHHH!! look at me get sniffed by this giant puppy dawg nose!



Last but not least is my favorite meal of the trip... VEGAN MICKEY WAFFLES!




 As it turns out, most places that serve these waffles carry a gluten/egg/dairy-free batter upon request. Just ask the chef! They were seriously awesome... Even better than the regular waffles according to my mom.

Disney is the best and I love it. K Bye!


4 comments:

Scott April 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM  

Ahhhhh! A hidden mickey on the Gaston mug!

Anonymous,  April 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM  

I went to Disney World with a friend about 4 years ago. I was way too shy to ask for vegan options, afraid that they wouldn't even know what a vegan was. My friend, however, would always pipe in when it was my turn to order and ask "Do you have anything vegan???" To my surprise, most places we went did, and it was good. I even got some tofutti ice cream at a show we went to. Don't be afraid to ask!!!

Anonymous,  July 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM  

I recently went but I was unsure of the foam (bone char sugar) in LeFou's brew, so we just had the apple juice. But I thought the oyster crackers in the chilli contained milk? Liberty Square has a baked potato cart, which was awesome with veggie chilli poured on top.

TofuForBrains,  August 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM  

Yep, the oyster crackers in the vegan chili at Columbia Harbour contain dairy--unless they've changed them in the last year or so. They are not always careful about it even if you speak with a CM and order dairy-free, unfortunately--you can ask to see the packages to look at the ingredients, though. Seems kinda silly to top a delicious vegan item with something non-vegan...but there you go. I have found Cosmic Ray's and Pecos Bill's to be the most accommodating places, as you can even ask to get your fries baked instead of cooked in shared or recycled oil. Their CMs seem to be very careful. If you don't mind waiting 10-15 min they will prep your food separately to avoid cross-contamination.
Your pics look great, and they make me want to check out LeFou Brew on an upcoming trip! I wonder if The Grey Stuff is vegan...:-)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP