>> Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Searing tofu is one of my favorite things to do. But tossing it into VeganYumYum's delicious Tofu Marinade is a close second. Feel free to mix up this dish based on whatever veggies you have in season. It's really all about the tofu, guys. In fact, this particular preparation is the perfect thing to whip up for a tofu skeptic.
1 pkg extra firm tofu, pressed and then cut into small triangles
1 large eggplant, cubed
1 pickled radish, thinly sliced
1 Tblsp. green onion, sliced
VeganYumYum's Tofu Marinade:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup tamari
1 Tblsp. thinly sliced ginger
1 Tblsp. maple syrup
1 Tblsp. oil
1 Tblsp. Vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. mustard
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
Black pepper, to taste
1. Heat a couple tablespoons of safflower oil in a large skillet. (You can marinate your tofu in the tofu marinade ahead of time if you like, but I usually just add it in during the cooking process.)
2. On medium/high heat, sear your tofu until both sides are sufficiently golden brown and crispy. This will require pretty hot oil and a bit of patience. In the meantime, whisk all your marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Once the tofu is well-seared, pour the marinade into the hot skillet over the tofu (but reserve a little to the side). Turn the heat down to medium and toss in your eggplant.
4. Once the tofu and eggplant have fully absorbed the liquid, and the eggplant is cooked, it's done!
5. Serve over brown rice with sliced pickled radish, green onion, and sesame seeds.