Chickpea & Artichoke Salad

>> Saturday, July 24, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty:EASY
Pots/Pans Used: 1!

Ingredients

1 13oz can Chickpeas, drained
1 can marinated artichoke hearts
2 TBL olive oil
1/2 tsp dried basil
sliced almonds (optional)

Dressing:
2 TBL olive oil
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
s&p

You're not crazy, your are in fact experiencing déjà vu right now. This is a recipe I posted when VP just started that I revisited for dinner yesterday and decided to re-work. If I can, I like to change up recipes rather than just copy them and paste them in a blog. So this is a recipe from the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook that I decided to add a dressing to in order to mix things up. I'm not someone who normally opts to have a salad for dinner but this was so surprisingly hearty. It completely filled me up and I even had enough for leftovers. This could have really benefited from a squeeze of lemon, but I didn't have any on hand.

Photobucket

To start, put a large saute pan on medium-high heat with 1 TBL olive oil. Once hot, add the drained chickpeas to the pan. Move them around occasionally just to make sure they don't burn. You want them to be an even golden-brown color (will take about 10 min). Once they are golden, put them aside in a bowl. Next, drain the artichokes. Add another TBL of olive oil to the pan and then toss in the drained artichokes. Again, you want them to get a nice brown on each side. Once those are done, add them into the bowl with the chickpeas. Mix all the dressing ingredients together, pour over the chickpeas and artichokes along with the basil and toss up so that everything gets nicely coated. The original recipe calls for parsley so if your prefer that to basil, go for it. Top with sliced almonds for a nice crunch.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Allison aka Half of VAMH July 25, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Ooh I like your spin! I tried this for the first time last week and was absolutely surprised and in love! Definitely a new favorite.

Caroline Kleger July 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM  

This looks amazing. I tweaked the last version of the recipe you posted and added roasted asparagus and cherry tomatoes for added veggies. Will try this one with the almonds though!

hoolsa August 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

ohmygossssshh this looks delicious!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Ooh that looks good. Artichoke hearts are so awesome.

Trudy ~ veggie num num August 31, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

Beautiful recipe, I love the few but delicious ingredients! Artichokes & Chickpeas, has to be so good!

Kate January 16, 2011 at 9:36 AM  

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that I used this recipe for a potluck last night and it was a HUGE hit! Thank you!

http://www.mainlyveggie.com/2011/01/chickpea-and-artichoke-salad-4-6.html

Summer,  March 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

This is one of my go to recipes now. Pan cooking the chickpeas really brings out good flavor. And it is Super easy and quick!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP