Tofu Scramble

>> Sunday, September 13, 2009

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: EASY
Pots/Pans Used: 1! (with the exception of a cutting board)

Ingredients

1/2 pkg of extra firm Tofu
1 tbl. olive oil
1 medium chopped onion (about 1 cup)
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. tumeric
1 tsp. salt

If you are vegan, chances are, you're no stranger to tofu scramble, and you may already have your own recipe down pat. However, this is a fairly easy one, recommended to me by Ms. Tess Bath (thanks!). Breakfast is one of my favorite meals, and once I became vegan I figured it would probably be pushed aside. However, this is a great replacement! Now, if you don't already have these spices, it may seem like a lot to purchase, but I know they've been getting used on a regular basis since I bought mine. Also, if you are unfamiliar with nutritional yeast flakes, you need to get familiar. You can buy them at Whole Foods and possibly Publix Greenwise (but don't hold me to it). I LOVE NUTRITIONAL YEAST (you may even find that 1/4 cup just isn't enough). Plus, it's a great source of B vitamins from what I've read. Also, if you aren't a fan of onions and mushrooms, you can certainly add any of your favorite veggies into the mix. It's also delicious with some sausage (I recommend Gimme Lean Sausage). But anyways, on to the directions...

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Next, saute onions until soft, then add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes. Add the garlic (saute 2 mins.) and then the spice blend. Mix everything with the spice blend for about 15 seconds. Then, add 1/4 cup of water to deglaze the pan. Combine in the drained tofu by crumbling it into large chunks (it will break up more once you cook it) & mix well. let this cook for about ten minutes, adding splashes of water if it sticks too much. Finally, add the nutritional yeast. You can eat it alone, or on a bagel like I've shown here (Unlike mine, I recommend serving your bagel right side up).

NOTE: You may want to change the measurements of spices based on your own tolerance of those flavors.

3 comments:

Lindsey Mills September 13, 2009 at 9:46 PM  

Mmmm, I may wake up a little earlier tomorrow just to make this for breakfast before class.

Tess Elizabath,  September 18, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

I know RYT? I wish I were eating this right now.

Eva,  October 13, 2009 at 3:19 AM  

Tofu scramble is my favorite to make/eat.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP