Wedge Salad

>> Thursday, November 5, 2009

Photobucket

Level of Difficulty: Easy
Pots/Pans Used: 1!!!

Ingredients
1/2 head of iceberg lettuce
3 strips Smart Bacon, diced
1/2 tomato, cut into wedges
olive oil
Dressing:
2/3 cup non-dairy ranch dressing
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste

I decided to try and make a vegan version of a classic wedge steakhouse salad. Traditionally they have a creamy dressing, gorgonzola cheese and bacon. Ideally, I would have made a dressing from scratch, but that requires a food processor (which I don't have). If I get one in the future I will try to remake this recipe with a homemade dressing. For now, a semi-homemade one will have to do. Not only is this salad surprisingly filling, but it tastes awesome!
Heat some olive oil in a small saute pan over low/medium heat. When hot, add the bacon. Saute bacon for only a few minutes, otherwise the texture will be all rubbery. In a bowl, combine dressing with nutritional yeast. Then stir in lemon juice, soy sauce and salt & pepper. Drizzle dressing over wedge of lettuce. Add tomatoes and sprinkle bacon and pepper on top. Seriously, it's THAT easy.

6 comments:

Tess ElizaBath,  November 13, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

MY MOUTH IS WATERING. I WANT SOME.

Scott November 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

This was hyper-delicious, just like everything else I've tried on here! I want the new OS that makes these meals materialize before me at will, so make it happen.

Ashley McCoy-Reese March 19, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

I bought the Cucumber Ranch Kraft dressing and at the bottom below the ingredients it says contains milk :( just thought I would share that

s.m. March 21, 2010 at 1:04 AM  

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know! Perhaps they changed the recipe or something. What a bummer :( I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the grocery store. I changed the post to warm people. I know that I've seen a non-dairy ranch dressing called OrganicVille but never tried it. Please lemme know how it is if you do :) Regardless, I've been meaning to make a dressing from scratch now that I have a food processor. When I do, I'll definitely post it!

Jazz Siebert April 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM  

ok...dont laugh but it took me forever to click on your 'salads' tab. I just never really look at any salad recipes cuz i figured , "hey, i know how to make salad."... but this salad looks Awesome and I can't wait to taste it! (with vegan ranch of course)

Thanks for being so awesome!

s.m. April 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

Trust me, I might have never clicked it. I am so not a salad person. That being said, I was at this restaurant with my mom and her friends and one of them ordered this salad. I just kept thinking how ridiculously delicious it looked the whole time. I found myself craving it weeks later so I finally gave in and decided to make a vegan version of it. With how rich and filling it is, it really doesn't seem like a salad at all. I hope you enjoy it! By the way, I checked and Kraft Cucumber Ranch is in fact using milk ingredients now... BUMMER. Lemme know what alternative you try!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP