Strawberry & Spinach Salad

>> Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Photobucket
( Sorry for the poor quality! My camera broke, so I had to use my computer's camera. When I can afford a new fancy camera, I'll re-shoot it :D)
Level of Difficulty: too easy
Pots/Pans Used: only 1 or 2 bowls

Ingredients

1 bag of spinach
Carton of strawberries, sliced
Toasted sesame seeds
Dill

Dressing:
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar, because it's what I had on hand)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard
2 tsp agave nectar


Let me start by saying that I am so not a salad person. I mean, salads are okay, but certainly nothing I ever look forward to. This however, is a salad of a whole different sort. This is my grandmother's recipe. It's one of those dishes that whenever you bring it to a gathering, people always ask for the recipe. The dill, strawberry and sesame seeds marry so well together. Not to mention, it pairs perfectly with the summer season!

Okay it's a salad, so you know it's simple to make and you probably don't need my guidance but just in case here's how I prepare it... In a small bowl, whisk all the dressing ingredients together (you wont use all the dressing but you can always refrigerate the extra and use it again). Combine the strawberries, spinach and sesame seeds (up to you how much you want to use). Dress it all and mix well. I mix in the dill at the end. Fresh or dried dill will be fine. Like the sesame seeds, the amount of dill you use is completely up to you. I love serving this as a light lunch with a few slices of bruschetta. Okay... I don't know about you but I'm salivating! Enjoy!

10 comments:

Sally Tharpe Rowles May 12, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

Yum, looks good & beautiful too!

Anonymous,  May 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

I just discovered that everyone is doing salads because it's salad month and not just because they love salad as much as I do. yours is much more photogenic than any salad I put together!
Katherine

s.m. May 15, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

Aw thanks! To tell you the truth, I had no idea it was salad month. Whoops!

Anonymous,  May 16, 2010 at 4:08 PM  

This looks sooo yummy! Can't wait to try it along with MANY of your other recipes... they all look sooo good!!! I found your blog when it was linked on The Kind Life website... what a surprise to find out you live in Tampa too! I just started my vegan lifestyle... any restaurant suggestions you have around here? I live in the New Tampa area :) It's been kind of tough finding places besides Whole Foods and the Greenwise section at Publix... although they are good I would love to eat something I didn't have to cook myself!

s.m. May 16, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

Oh goodness yes! I'm most familiar with the temple terrace area though. My boyfriend and I love Ichiban, a Japanese restaurant. I'm almost always at Taqueria Monterrey (highly recommended! and inexpensive) they offer plenty of vegan options INCLUDING vegan chorizo (it's fantastic along with the pineapple juice). Grassroots is really good too (on floribraska ave), I highly recommend the mock chicken Parmesan and the sunshine burger! If you like Indian the restaurant, Cilantro, is great. They indicate everything that contains dairy on their menu. Trang Viet Cuisine offers a vegan buffet once a month but always has a whole menu full of vegan options. Kalesia tea lounge only has a few light vegan dishes, but they can make vegan thai iced tea and lots of yummy beverages. Hope that helps! We May even bump into each other :)

Here is a list of more places though:
http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/florida/tampa/

Suzy May 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

This salad is delicious - it screams SUMMER! And it looks so pretty too.

I'm sure your grandmother is happy one of her recipes made it onto your blog!

Anonymous,  May 23, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

Thank you sooooo much!!! Yes one day Im sure we will bump into each other around here in Tampa! :) I actually just tried Grassroots the other day... I almost got the "chicken" parmesan but opted for the "favorite sandwich" instead :) Figured it would be quicker on my lunch break! I cant wait to try all the other places you listed! Thank you soooo much and I look forward to more of your yummy recipes on here... I made the BLT and the salad already... yum and yum!!! Xoxo!

Ashley May 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

so is that 1/4 teaspoon, tablespoon, or cup of lemon juice???????????

s.m. May 26, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

whoops, my mistake... 1/4 cup

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP