Fancy Cake

>> Monday, September 13, 2010

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: Some assembly required!
Pots/Pans Used: two-ish

So it looks fancy, but it's actually really easy. I figured this would be a good post for anyone going to a party that wants to bring something impressive. Whenever I go to a party where I'm asked to bring something vegan (usually because there will be very few vegans there and they want to make sure I'll be able to eat something) I admittedly like to go all out. I see it as an opportunity to break the stereotype that vegan food can only be cardboard. So, if you have something coming up, offer to bring the cake and then show up with this! They'll think you slaved over it when in reality it takes minimal effort.

Photobucket

So this isn't my original recipe, but you can find it here. If anything, this is more of a cake decorating tips post. The original measurements were for a loaf pan, so the only thing you need to change is to double all the measurements so that it fits perfectly into two basic 9" round cake pans. While the cakes are in the oven, you can start making the chocolate covered strawberries. I used baker's chocolate to melt but you can use chocolate chips or whatever else you can come up with. Place the chocolate-covered strawberries on wax paper and set them in the fridge to set up.

Photobucket

Once the cakes have cooled, layer the cakes on top of each other so that you can trim some off the top tier until it's the desired size. Cut each layer lengthwise down the center. Spread some frosting on one side and add some sliced strawberries. Top it with the other half. Do the same thing to the top tier. This helps to infuse some strawberry flavor into the chocolate cake and add another texture. Frost the cakes (which in my opinion is probably the hardest part... it never looks perfect!! But don't worry, Once you're done decorating, you won't notice any frosting mistakes). Then all you do is pile on the chocolate-covered strawberries how you see fit and sprinkle on some chocolate shavings.

Photobucket

On a more personal note, I specifically made this cake for my best friend of almost fifteen years, Ms. Tess Bath who is moving to New York. Any of you NY followers, feel free to say 'hi' if you see her out and about since I cant anymore (tear). She'll be the mega-hottie with the hot pink backpack. Now I'm going to get a little sentimental and share some BFF moments with you. I know I don't usually put up personal pictures, but I know I always like it when people do that on other vegan blogs I read so I figured why not...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Good luck in New York, Tesser!!! <3 xoxoxo

7 comments:

Blake September 13, 2010 at 10:58 PM  

i wish i could've been there, for tess and the cake.

Lindsey Mills September 14, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

Gahh, tearing up! What a beautiful cake to really compliment the foxiness of the two ladies holdin' it.

LittleHouseofVeggies September 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

ooooohhhh! That is VERY fancy and looks absolutely delicious!

Melissa September 17, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

seriously, the first thing I said when I checked your blog today was "Oh..My..God! Must make!"

Unknown September 17, 2010 at 9:20 PM  

I need to make this soon!! I just awarded you the Sunshine Award on my blog :)

s.m. September 17, 2010 at 11:43 PM  

Aw thanks girl!! I kinda can't handle how cute your outfits are! <3

scrapbook supplies March 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM  

This one is truly looking awesome! As I have found wonderful cake from this one. As the great conception and look of this cake are really looking delicious and mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing some of great featured source for me.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP