>> Monday, July 1, 2013
I'm trying to start a weekly tradition of having a picnic dinner at the beach. Taking time to relax and have a meal in one of your favorite outdoor spaces is da best! I highly recommend starting this ritual with me. For my first beach picnic, I made this awesome tortilla soup. Not only was it hella easy, but it was very refreshing and finished with a bit of a kick. Next picnic? Breakfast empanadas!!!! Oh yeah! But for now...
Pots/Pans Used: uno!
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 cups leeks, sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with jalapeno
4 oz. diced mild green chiles
15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
6 cups vegetable broth
lime, sour cream, chives, avocado, etc.
1. in a large stock pot, saute onion and leeks in olive oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add corn, tomato, chiles, beans, and all your spices.
3. Let all the flavors blend for a few minutes before adding vegetable broth
4. Once you've added your broth, simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with as many garnishes as your heart desires.
(Tip: Top with your favorite hot sauces if you like heat!)