>> Saturday, October 26, 2013
Pots/Pans Used: 3 bowls
I'm not a baker. Still, there's something about Fall that inspires me to bring out my mixer. I themed this cake after the delicious alcoholic beverage, Irish Coffee. The cake turned out pretty awesome (my co-workers gobbled it up in about 2 minutes flat), but I am going to keep working on the icing's consistency. I think this cake would be even better with four layers, so double the recipe if you feel like stacking this thang up!
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tblsp. ground coffee
1 cup almond milk
1 Tblsp. apple cider vinegar
1/3 sup safflower oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 Tblsp. coffee liqueur
1 Tblsp. vodka
1/2 cup Earth Balance
2 1/2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
4 Tblsp. coffee liqueur
4 tsp. vodka
1. Preheat oven to 350 and mix almond milk and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Mix together your dry ingredients in a bowl. (flour, sugar, soda, powder, salt & coffee)
3. Whisk oil, water, almond extract, coffee liqueur, and vodka into almond milk mixture.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry until there aren't any clumps.
5. Pour evenly into two greased 9 x 1.5 cake pans (will be very shallow). Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cakes cool.
7. Using a mixer, Whip your Earth Balance until fluffy.
8. Add vodka and coffee liqueur and blend until smooth.
9. Gradually add your powdered sugar. Once your icing is perfect, set it in the fridge until your ready to ice the cake.
10. Once you ice your cake, you can add a fancy marbled design on top with melted chocolate chips or decorate with some coffee beans. Keep cake refrigerated!