Biscuits in Sausage Gravy

>> Friday, January 14, 2011

oh yes, I went there...

Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: Easiest of easy
Pots/Pans Used: ONE


Ingredients

2 1/2 cup unsweetened plain soy milk
1 package Publix buttermilk biscuits (totally vegan! I think the kind I bought was "hearty layers" or something. Just double check the ingredients to make sure you're getting the right one!)
1 package Gimme Lean Sausage (you don't have to use the whole package if you don't want to)
1/4 cup flour
Earth Balance
s&p to taste

Finally! At long last, my cooking mojo is back in full swing. I'm back in Tampa now, and pretty much obligated to start cooking for myself again. Regardless, I've missed it quite a bit. I am spending tomorrow planning recipes and grocery shopping so be prepared for regular postings again!

Photobucket

This specific recipe is so incredibly easy. In fact, I don't think I've showcased a recipe on here that was more deserving of the "Quick N' Easy" tag. However, I can't take much credit for it. It came from this neat little cookbook my friend got as a gift, Hot Damn & Hell Yeah/ The Dirty South Cookbook. This is the only recipe I've tried from it so far, but the cookbook seems to be jam packed with cute illustrations and yummy down home meals. I decided to make it because on the last day of my holiday break, I had a very small "Goodbye Brunch" with a few friends. We had mimosas, fruit salad, curry tofu scramble, and hash browns. However, these were definitely the star of the show. Seriously, MAKE THESE! THEY'RE SO GOOD! You'll actually want to expand your stomach capacity just to make room for more. They're THAT good.

Photobucket

All you do is heat some Earth Balance in a skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, you can follow the biscuit instructions and bake them in the oven. In the end, everything should be ready at about the same time. Break up the sausage into little pieces and brown it in the pan. Then add the flour. Let it coat the sausage and then add a little more butter to help it stick to the sausage and brown more. Then gradually add in the soy milk a little at a time while stirring constantly. I had serious doubts when I read the recipe that it would thicken up enough, but it TOTALLY does. I was kind of amazed. Keep adding milk until it's the perfect gravy texture. For me, this ended up being about 2 1/2 cups of milk. You may need more or less. Finally, season with salt & pepper and pour over the biscuits. Serve immediatley!

Photobucket

9 comments:

Anonymous,  January 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM  

this was theBOMB.com, for real.

Sara January 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM  

What the crap is this? It's HEAVEN, that's what. I seriously thought something nonvegan had showed up in my reader. I am going to make this asap. Thank you thank you thank you!

Prairie + Sky January 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM  

If only I had bought the gimme lean at the store the other day....next time! I will be making these asap :) Cool cookbook rec as well. I hadn't heard of that one!

Blake January 14, 2011 at 9:16 AM  

i want some...right now!

Scott January 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM  

That was some DELICIOUS down home comfort food!

★[amber]☆ January 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

I watched my friend eat this over brunch last week and was so jealous that she could enjoy my old favorite breakfast and I no longer had the option. Thank you so much!

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies January 24, 2011 at 10:54 PM  

Dang girl...SUCH good looking comfort food!!! YUMMY!

Danielle February 25, 2011 at 4:46 PM  

http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2011/02/vegan-breakfast-biscuits-and-sausage.html
Just linked back to this recipe from my blog...it was amazing!!!

Anonymous,  March 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM  

YUM! Can't wait to try this! :-)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP