Tempeh Enchiladas

>> Saturday, February 20, 2010

So before I go into the recipe, I wanted to share a few personal stories with you. First, I just finished reading Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet last night.


The first half of the book is a little over 130 pages of literature and the other half of the book is full of yummy looking recipes which I will hopefully try and post in the future. The book starts by talking about the benefits of a "kind diet". She also breaks down how to meet all your nutritional needs which I found really helpful. Its a very user-friendly book and was jam packed with everything I could possibly want to know. Then, she sets out plans for three different approaches: Flirting (for those testing the waters, but aren't looking to make any commitments), Going Vegan (self explanatory) and finally, Superhero (which is a combination of a vegan and macrobiotic diet). Since going vegan, I may feel like I'm eating more ethically, but I haven't felt particularly healthy and I'm pretty unhappy with my body. Therefore, I'm going to do my best to become a superhero, cutting out white sugar, flour and highly processed foods and focusing more on protein, grains and vegetables. I can't tell you how excited I am to start making healthier decisions in my cooking. In celebration of my new endeavors, my boyfriend and I had an awesome and guilt-free meal consisting of fancy grapefruit cocktails and chips n' guac. That was followed by tempeh enchiladas, corn on the cob and a heaping pile of kale chips (my new fave!). Anyways, I figured I would let you know about my new plans because it will most likely be represented in the recipes I post.
On a side note, I would like to take this opportunity to talk about a gift I received for valentine's day.... a box of vegan chocolates by Rose City and OH. MY. GOD!!!!!!! They're particularly cool because all the sugar used in making these chocolates is processed from the sugar beet! I've been trying to ration myself one chocolate a day, but three is proving to be more realistic. They are incredibly delicious and I totally foodgasmed over the strawberry cream. F'real... check it out and buy yourself some ASAP! I couldn't be happier.

Okay, now on to what we're all here for (not being done much justice by this picture):
Photobucket
Level of Difficulty: some assembly required
Pots/Pans Used: 3

Ingredients

1 pkg tempeh
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 packet taco seasoning
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can beans of your choice (I used vegetarian refried beans)
flour tortillas
nutritional yeast to garnish (optional)
1 jar of any tomato sauce

This recipe was shared with me a long time ago by one of by bffl's, Lindsey Mills. I have made it numerous times since and it is seriously soooooo good. It's nice and mildly spicy not to mention suuuuper hardy and filling!
Preheat oven to 350. In a large saute pan, saute the onion and garlic with a little olive oil until fragrant and translucent. Add the can of tomatoes and crumble in the tempeh. Mix in the taco seasoning and let it all incorporate for about 5-10 minutes. In a separate sauce pan, let your beans heat up. Once the beans are hot and the tempeh mixture is settled, start assembling your tortillas. I like to spread the beans on first and then add the mixture. Roll it up, and place in a casserole dish. Repeat. I was able to fit five enchiladas in a casserole dish. Pour the tomato sauce over the enchiladas. You don't need the whole jar, just enough to cover them evenly. Put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. That's it! if you really wanna go wild, try adding some vegan cheese and sour cream :)



13 comments:

Lindsey Mills February 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

DAMN, you go girl!!! There was just so much in this post that I got excited about, I think I better just leave it at YES!!!!!

Tess ElizaBath,  March 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

SNAPS FOR DANNY!!! I am DROOLING over these chocolates, I NEED SOME STRAWBERRY CREAM IN MY LIFE ASAP!!! Also, your new dietary style = da bomb.

Gina March 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Hi! I think I found you through a link on The Kind Life. I also like the book, and while much of the information is not new to me, it is presented so simply.

I'm not 100% vegan, but I'm looking through your recipes, and I think it won't be long until I make the conversion.

Anonymous,  March 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

Made this today and even fooled my parents who are not vegans. They enjoyed them as much I did!

s.m. March 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM  

Awesome! I love when I get an opportunity to cook for non-vegans and show off how yummy vegan food can be :)

MP March 22, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Hello! I made the enchiladas today, and they were really delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe! Even my meat-eating boyfriend loved them. I'm a new vegetarian and I'm trying to incorporate more vegan-inspired meals into my diet. These will definitely get made again! I love your blog, I'm glad I found it.

http://catandmap.blogspot.com/

s.m. March 29, 2010 at 7:58 PM  

Thanks! Just checked out your blog... really cute! Glad you two enjoyed the recipe :)

Me April 16, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

saw this recipe featured on the kind life.com and i can't wait to try it! i'll also be trying the oreo's :)

Jeri April 17, 2010 at 2:35 AM  

Girl did you see that this recipe got featured at The Kind Life! Woohoo! I'm so excited for you. You Rock those recipes.

Love, Jeri

s.m. April 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM  

Yes, my friend called me and told me about it. I could barely contain myself I was so happy!

Jeri April 18, 2010 at 3:33 AM  

Woohoo! You deserve this. Your recipes are totally out of this world. People can learn so much from your techniques and the sites you link us up to. You're an awesome woman. Thanks for sharing your gitt and love of cooking with us.

Don't contain yourself. Put on those rollerskates and crank up the music!!!

s.m. April 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

haha, i will. Thank you, you are always so sweet!

Michelle Brown May 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

OMG I made your tempeh enchiladas for dinner last night and they were to-die-for even the rest of my family (all non vegans) couldn't get enough of them. Thank you Sammi!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP