Banana Bread French Toast

>> Thursday, May 17, 2012

IMG_00701
Pots/Pans Used: 1


This recipe has been floating around in my head for a while now and I'm so glad I finally got around to making it because it was thebomb.com. I did a Hawaiian twist on my Grandmother's Banana Bread recipe by adding 1/4 cup of shredded coconut and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts to the batter. I highly recommend it!

Ingredients

Slices of my Grandmother's Banana Bread
1 1/2 cups soymilk
1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tblsp brown sugar
Earth Balance
powdered sugar
maple syrup

Topping (enough for about 4 slices):

1 banana, sliced
1 1/2 Tblsp pecan chips
1 Tblsp minced crystalized ginger
2 Tblsp Earth Balance
dash of nutmeg

1. Start out by whisking together the milk, flour, vanilla, nutmeg, and sugar in a flat casserole dish. Let your banana bread slices soak in this mixture for a few minutes on either side like so...

IMG_00621

2. Then in a skillet over medium heat, melt about a 1/2 Tblsp of Earth Balance. Brown French toast in the melted butter. A couple minutes on either side should make it nice, crispy, and golden brown :)

3. Once you've fried up all the french toast, you can store them in a warm oven while you prepare the topping. For the topping, add the sliced bananas and 1 Tblsp Earth Balance in a skillet over medium heat. Once the bananas get a nice sear, add the ginger, pecans, nutmeg, and the second Tblsp of Earth Balance. Let the flavors combine as you stir it up for a couple minutes.

IMG_00691

4. Plate the french toast with some banana topping, warm maple syrup, and powdered sugar. Try not to tease your critters...

IMG_00781

5. And Enjoy!

IMG_00831

  

6 comments:

Emma May 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM  

I literally just saw a non-vegan version of this on pinterest and was thinking of how to veganize it! Now you've done it for me :) Just one thing though..is there some non-dairy milk in the dipping mixture? I think you've forgotten to add it to the ingredients list/directions..

s.m. May 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM  

Good catch! Fixed it :)

Anonymous,  May 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM  

I can't wait to try this!

Anonymous,  May 20, 2012 at 4:59 AM  

Just wanted to ask, can I sub the French creamer in the banana bread with anything else? I live in Australia and soy creamer isn't readily available. Thanks for this comforting recipe! :)

s.m. May 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM  

Sure thing! I would think any non-dairy milk would work just fine

evasive June 10, 2012 at 4:28 PM  

THIS IS SO DECADENT! yummm, I miss you!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP